Although Twig has not officially concluded, much less Worm 2 having started, the first epilogue of that story has been posted.
The question of whether I should try to get into Worm 2 is tough. I tried to get into Twig a bit, but it just didn’t really grab me, however thematically interesting. Reasons I’d want to get into Worm 2 are:
- I could be pleasantly surprised.
- I want to know more about Spacebattles’ favorite weird niche webfic.
- Most importantly, reading it as it starts means I’m not buried by a gigantic overload of previous chapters.
However, the reason why I wouldn’t, and why I haven’t, are twofold.
- Wildbow (the author) has prose that’s just “meh”. Not terrible, but not the most gripping.
- The pacing of the stories isn’t very good, which combined with their (admirably) fast update schedule means I catch up on several chapters of nothing.
That being said, I’ll still give it a try, and if nothing else, I might be motivated to read through the many updates of Worm 1 while Twig winds down. Maybe I’ll find it an acquired taste. It’s certainly happened before with stuff that didn’t seem good at first impression.